Aqueous Pretreatment of Plant Biomass for Biological and Chemical Conversion to Fuels and ChemicalseBook - 2013
Plant biomass is attracting increasing attention as asustainable resource for large-scale production of renewable fuelsand chemicals. However, in order to successfully compete withpetroleum, it is vital that biomass conversion processes aredesigned to minimize costs and maximize yields. Advances inpretreatment technology are critical in order to develophigh-yielding, cost-competitive routes to renewable fuels andchemicals.
Aqueous Pretreatment of Plant Biomass for Biological andChemical Conversion to Fuels and Chemicals presents acomprehensive overview of the currently available aqueouspretreatment technologies for cellulosic biomass, highlighting thefundamental chemistry and biology of each method, key attributesand limitations, and opportunities for future advances.
Topics covered include:
* The importance of biomass conversion to fuels
* The role of pretreatment in biological and chemicalconversion of biomass
* Composition and structure of biomass, andrecalcitrance to conversion
* Fundamentals of biomass pretreatment at low, neutraland high pH
* Ionic liquid and organosolv pretreatments tofractionate biomass
* Comparative data for application of leadingpretreatments and effect of enzyme formulations
* Physical and chemical features of pretreatedbiomass
* Economics of pretreatment for biologicalprocessing
* Methods of analysis and enzymatic conversion ofbiomass streams
* Experimental pretreatment systems from multiwellplates to pilot plant operations
This comprehensive reference book provides an authoritativesource of information on the pretreatment of cellulosic biomass toaid those experienced in the field to access the most currentinformation on the topic. It will also be invaluable to thoseentering the growing field of biomass conversion.